Tuesday, May 14, 2013

7/31 Things: Significant Childhood Memories


{To know what I am talking about, and to see past 31 Things posts, start here...}

7. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.


**********


I remember going to Disney (land maybe world).
My parents, my brother, baby sister, and me.
My grandparents Skop came too!
We dressed up, possibly because it was halloween time, maybe just to have fun!
=)
But I remember getting my face painted and also going on splash mountain for the first time!
I cried so bad!
I kept reading the signs on the wall saying "turn around", "Drop ahead"....you know those ones leading to the big drop!
Well they got to my little head and scared me, like they are intended to do....
I am not sure if it is "Significant" in a life changing way, but it is one of my first memories of a big family trip and it doesn't get much better than that!
If you don't know who we are dressed as my brother is Aladdin when he is a sultan and I am Belle.
Mommy made the costumes!


In 2006 my high school orchestra traveled to Boston to perform and also be critiqued.
We also had the opportunity to have Benjamin Zander lecture us and receive a copy of his book,
The Art of Possibility
In his lecture he told us that he wanted to send one of his violinist to visit a great teacher in Europe somewhere and that he was sure she would turn down the all expense paid adventure. 
My parents told me to go up to him and ask if he would send me, after things were done!
After much deliberation I got up the courage to do it.
I mean hey! What if he said yes! That would be totally awesome!
Instead quite the opposite happened....
Mr. Zander got one inch away from my face and said, "Why would I ever send somebody like you?" 
I was shocked
I didn't know how to react
Some of my peers were still around me and I just wanted to burst into tears!
They all knew something was up, and I tried my best to just brush off their questions...
Once we reached the hotel I went with my parents to their room and burst.

I learned one of the greatest things that day that has changed my life completely.
I can take risks and not die.
=)
Seriously though.
It took a lot for me to ask for things that I wanted, especially from people I knew would see me as a peon.
But I mustered the courage, partially out of pressure, but I did it!
Ever since then I have been better at approaching people, asking for things that I am 99% positive will receive a "No" answer....
The best part, is that sometimes the answer ends up being a "Yes!" and I am in shock!
It's been a real game changer in my life.

The last of the three significant memories...was hard to come up with.
I honestly knew the first two I would right about instantly!
I think that the third memory would be when my dad got really REALLY sick.
I don't remember how long he wasn't able to work for, at least 2 months, but it felt like 6.
We were all scared.
The doctors did all kinds of tests, scans, medicines, and things were just not improving.
I don't remember the when, how, or why things improved, but I do remember that they did.
I also remember that my mom made a promise, as soon as my dad was better, to get her degree so that way if something scary like that happened again (especially if it turned for the worst) she would be able to much better support our family.
It helped me realize that I wanted to make sure that I had my degree accomplished before I got married or had kids. I wanted to make sure that I was self sufficient and could be independent if I absolutely needed to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment