Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Woes....

I'm not looking for people to tell me that in all actuality I have it easy, or to tell me to suck it up, or to be over sympathetic, I just need to vent and I decided to make it a public vent....I won't state names but if you know my situations these past couple of days maybe even weeks (I dunno how much venting I will do) then you will completely understand who or what I am talking about!

Lets start with a recent paper I had to write.
I received a very broad topic with "guiding questions" to help me write 3-5 pages, because I am an undergrad. The prof didn't go into much detail but decided that there was enough on the paper she handed out for us to understand her requirements and ace it. Well I've never had this prof before and so you may be thinking, "Why didn't you go in and ask for help?" Well here's the funny thing, I thought I understood what I was supposed to do. I had a few ideas, but then the longer I sat and tried to write the more I realized how broad of an idea the profs questions covered and had no way to come up with a thesis that covered all those questions. I ended up scraping together something and turning it in. I thought I had done a decent job in giving an over view of what she wanted, and when the paper was returned it was marked with a C-! Not only that, but she also went over the paper the day she handed them back and told us exactly what she had wanted done. I didn't realize this was supposed to be about just the text and the notation of the piece and an analysis of that! Jeepers!!! Had I known that maybe I could have done better, but I still don't really know how to do that type of analysis, until today. So I scheduled to meet the prof during office hours, today, and what happened? Well I ended up basically being told that I was an idiot, fool, and retarded for not knowing what was expected of me. Of course it wasn't said in those bluntly of terms, though it was presented in the most blunt way a prof can without saying them. Amazing how they can do that. So I walked home to blog, to cry, and to also finish up a portion of today's assignment for that class that I forgot needed to be done. Luckily she's giving me til tonight to turn it in! So the prof does have a little bit of a heart.

Attend class, homework, teach, practice, attend recitals, friends, fiance, sleep, eat, church, church piano, church activities..... where do they all fit?
So I have been feeling stressed. I want to fit everything and everyone in my life, and I want to get good grades. Everyone laughs when they hear that I am still trying to get good grades, especially this semester. They say, "You're planning a wedding, you are expected to fail a class or two!" WHAT!?!?!? Not Tresann Van Drew!! (or Van Drawson) I can't. And I mean that in the I PHYSICALLY CAN'T, kind of way!!! I would skip sleep and meals to finish homework and to study in order to get good grades if necessary....and it seems like I am already starting this process! I also tend to skip violin practice to do that too which is no bueno seeing how my degree is based on my violin performance! So right now I am in the process of trying to work all this out. I am sorry to my dear friends, and roommie, who may feel that I am ignoring them and ditching them for my fiance. Which in some respects is kinda true....But really that is just two nights a week and a full sunday. Because well....I dunno how to word it, but you'll understand soon enough! But the other days, even some days I have to cancel time with Justin, I have homework or teaching that needs to be done and I do that until the wee hours of the morning....So I am sorry. I ended up taking time consuming classes with out realizing it!!! NO BUENO! Please forgive me as I am trying to figure out a way to schedule my life and not be so stupid anymore!

1 comment:

  1. I totally hear you! This is the first semester I'm actully letting myself relax over grades. But I know what you mean. I can play a few songs on the piano if you ever need anyone to cover for you at church, or just give you a break. Seriously, don't hesitate to ask, just ask like Wednesday so I have time to practice.

    ReplyDelete