Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This might get me some angry comments/emails...

I have an honest to goodness question that I don't know if I really want a response to.
If you think your response is worthy enough, then feel free to give it...

Why do mormon girls suddenly feel it appropriate to purchase and wear a bikini on their honeymoon?
I mean we are taught from the get go that we need to be modest....so the swimsuits we wear are those that cover our tummies, show little to no cleavage, and many of us even wear shorts to cover our thighs!
Why is it suddenly okay to wear a bikini?
Just curious!

8 comments:

  1. This has been something that has bothered me forever. It bothers me as much as the fact that I knew so many girls that were immodest at proms/dances that were lds-but then a couple of years later they get married in the temple and enjoy the blessings of that-where I have tried my whole life to be modest! Where do I catch a break from my choices? I am totally bothered by the whole swimsuit thing as you are. It doesn't make sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worse I think when they choose wedding dresses that they can"t even wear their new garments under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have our vices. We're not all perfect. Some of us see R rated movies, some of us drink a Coke once in a while, some of us skip our scriptures to just go to sleep, some of us say the F word when we get angry. We all have something that we do that doesn't necessarily go along with what we've been taught and tried to practice all of our lives. Maybe a bikini is one of those things, the one thing that person decides that maybe they can be lax on this one time.

    Another explanation is that now that they're married, they're free of being a temptation to boys. They have the man they'll be with for eternity and they are allowed to be intimate with him, so why cover up around him? He's seen everything? He's the one that counts right?

    I'm not saying it is right or that you should accept it as being ok, I'm just saying that we're not all perfect, we all have times when we justify the things that we do and whether it's wrong or right, I don't think we need the added judgement of others on our shoulders. We have enough to worry about, and enough to take on as we strive to be like our Heavenly Father. Our Savior tried to befriend the sinner, He didn't get angry at them for doing wrong, or talk about how shocking it was that they could do such a thing, He tried to help them, He befriended them and helped them to repent and be better people. I know it's much easier to say than done, but look at your sisters here on Earth with love, respect and kindness and remember that we all have things to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question is are you going judge others based purely on what they wear? We don’t judge those outside the church as bad people simply because they are not members, we still are told to look at them with love and respect. We should do the same for those inside the church. There are other situations in which people in the church judge others based on their perception of guidelines. For example is going to the store at 1230 AM on a Sunday breaking the Sabbath? Some view the Sabbath as the time they go to sleep on Saturday night to the time they go to sleep on Sunday night. Others view it as 12 am to 12 am and wait up with their friends on a Sunday night and go to a really early breakfast before they have even gone to sleep. The same goes for drinking caffiene and earrings and the list goes on and on.

    Are you gonna judge a ballerina because she wears a leotard? How about a runner who wears short running shorts and a racerback tank? You aren’t wearing your garments in these situations therefore it should be choice on how you decide to present yourself. It is definitely a situation I feel you should take a look at yourself and decide if you are comfortable wearing what you wear and leave what choices others make to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous comment leavers,

    I understand your thought process, and I also understand your thoughts in regarding to judgement. I am sorry that it came across that way. Honestly I still love these women as much as I did before. There is no real judgement held against them, just an opinion I hold in regards to certain fashions that are worn at the beach.

    I understand that there are choices we each have to make that regard when and how modest we are going to be. To me it is the ballerina's profession to have to wear the leotard, a runner has their own choices to make as well. Being a runner myself I understand the different choices in clothing that need to be made.

    I understand how we each make decisions in what we wear, and that we each need to decide for ourselves, "Would I feel comfortable to run over and shake Pres. Monson's hand in this outfit?" I just needed to vent a little about the bikini situation and I honestly do know that everyone has their own mentality and guidelines that they follow for modesty....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said sister... well said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just coming from a person who has been inactive and active, I agree that a bikini isn't the best or most appropriate thing for someone to wear. When I was inactive I wore a bikini, even when I was semi active I would. Since going to the temple I wouldn't wear one, unless I suddenly decided to do a bodybuilding competition, but even then that is a hard line to draw since bikini contest are run by the bodybuilding and fitness organizations. I think the best answer for it is that if you can pray about the decision and know without a doubt that what you are doing is okay then no one else can judge or say anything.
    Larry and I worked so hard to get sealed together and gave up a lot of worldly things. We have also seen other couples who go on vaca and wear bikinis or have clothing even that we know isn't covering their garments. I tell Larry all the time its not our worry. That person will have to live with the decision they have made. I personally wouldn't wear one now because I know how easy it is to "slip and fall".

    ReplyDelete