Monday, April 1, 2013

There is a Silver Lining to Every Cloud

If you will recall these two posts:

Between these two posts, a crazy roller coaster ride came our way.
The clouds on this ride were ever changing,
Sunshiny, overcast, gloomy, overcast, cumulonimbus, and then back to overcast, and sunshiny!

A few days after writing the first post we found out that we were pregnant!
With shock and excitement and wonder we called the fertility clinic to tell them the news!
Immediately lab work was scheduled to be done to make sure that everything looked good.
Everyone was so excited and shocked that this could be happening!
We pondered why we would feel inspired to start the adoption process if we were to be blessed with a biological child!
I even told Mr. Dawson that if this pregnancy didn't work out, that having already started the adoption process and being so far into it would help me not stick in a funk for very long. 

Then we got some news along with many questions
The numbers weren't looking good
I was told to continue with the last scheduled lab work session, take a certain prescription, and then they would see about an ultrasound.

The last labs didn't come back as happy as they had desired, so an ultrasound was scheduled for the next day.
The doctors and nurses thought the pregnancy might be ectopic.
Ectopic is when a baby implants anywhere but the uterus, most often the fallopian tube.
As the baby grows the tube cannot expand enough to hold the baby....and then the mothers life becomes at risk.
So in we went.

During the ultrasound we found out that it was not ectopic!
BUT the gestational sac was measuring much smaller than it should have been for almost 7 weeks.
They told us that we would do more lab work and continue watching and see what happened

A few days later I miscarried.
Hard as it is to miscarry, I found out in the middle of my day of teaching and still had 2 hours to go.
I put on my brave face, texted Justin, called the nurses in a 5 minute break I had, and continued on.
Earlier that morning I had allowed myself to hope for the best.

Lab work continued, followed by another ultrasound.
My body was doing it's job correctly
More lab work would be necessary to make sure my body finished it's job correctly.
The doctor and nurse appeared to be amazed at how well we seemed to be handling the situation.
I responded by telling them that it first helped in thinking that it was an ectopic pregnancy, my brain was prepared for the fact that I would lose this child. 
When it became apparent it wasn't ectopic and I prayed for strength and knowledge as to what I needed to do, I was comforted. 
I knew that no matter what things would work out!
We will be having another child whether by adoption or biologically!

The best part out of all of this!
Yes, there is a best part, remember I ended with "sunshiny" up top!
My body works!
Well, at least when it decides to work, it can work!
This is amazing news!
We weren't even sure that my body could really conceive on it's own!
And it did!
Who knows how often my body "works"! 
It took us 10 months to get there....
But we are excited about that, to have the knowledge that you aren't as broken as you thought, that is great news!

So we are continuing with the adoption process.
Yes, even though we were able to conceive we feel that we still need to do this and continue with the adoption process. 
We have felt, when we first started the process, that we would someday have another biological child
But today is not that day. 
We are to adopt first and love this child and raise this child with all the love that we have!

Have I mentioned how excited Ellie is to be a big sister!
SO STINKIN' EXCITED!
She claims she is going to have a baby sister.
She is going to play peek-a-boo, feed the baby bottles, hold the baby, and sing songs.
And we are so excited that we get to have another child as well!

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. It is so hard as I too lost mine at 8 weeks when there was no baby in the ultrasound. But I love the Silver Lining and the assurance that you know what you're doing and that you are so strong! Bless you girl.. Trust in the Lord like you already are doing... he'll lead you the rest of the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss! No matter how prepared you think you are or how much you are able to lean on the Lord, it is still so difficult to lose a baby. I am excited for you that you were able to get pregnant though, it is nice to feel like your body occasionally does something its supposed to! Best of luck with the adoption process, we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shed a tear for you. It is such a hard thing to loose something so precious.

    ReplyDelete