Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Let's get personal

Just a friendly reminder...

What is about to be written/read are my thoughts entirely.
I am letting you in on a slice of my brain that I thought was too private,
but felt recently that it might benefit someone else if I shared.
I have no idea who that someone else is.

But, that is what a blog is all about.
Right?

Many moons ago there was a talk given in church.
We will call the speaker Bro. T
(that way his identity is protected, partly cause he doesn't know I am sharing this)

Bro. T some how got to the point of sharing this story and it has stick with me ever since.

His wife has gone back and forth with being completely solid in the church 
and other times questioning things.
Sometimes they were the "simple" things that were questioned like,
why read scriptures everyday?
why pray everyday?
why go to church for 3 hours on sunday?
But in order to test it and find the answers to her questions
even if she didn't believe at that time, was just having doubts, or was just faltering
she did it. 
Just going through the motions daily, trying to find answers
and slowly she received answers
...

So my brain gets hazy around the end of the story and what he said
BUT
The reason I share this is because I have found on many different occasions this mentality has helped me!
If I continue to try to do my best
Go through the motions of praying and reading my scriptures
I get on track and finally get to the point where it is no longer just going through the motions
It finally clicks and becomes more a part of me!

I must confess that I have used this mentality with lots of things in my last 3 years
(yes that is when I got married!)
Going through the motions of making dinners
Of family home evening (which still suffers)
Date night
Temple attendance
Church callings
some other things I won't mention because I don't know who really reads this...

There are things I know I must get better at in doing at different times of day...
Did you know that for some reason I can't do my personal study of the scriptures in front of my husband?
Weird!
We share the same beliefs, he studies in front of me, and yet I can't!
Same goes for my personal prayer.
I am working on it...slowly...in my own way

So now that you know my secrets of one way my brain works please be nice!
Sometimes it is best for me to just go through the motions rather than do nothing at all.
I maintain a habit that can be improved upon.
I also know what happens when I don't go through the motions and just give up.
And it is not pretty

My only goal in sharing this with all of you is that maybe you won't feel silly just going through the motions.
That hopefully you can see that there is at least one other person who does it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment